How to make this icon:
This is so easy, I almost feel weird about making a tut, lol. But I was asked so here it goes.
The "big" secret is in Variations. You just color your cap red, yellow or green, whatever you want. To get your icon to "glow" or have a little depth, you can either use light textures or gradients. In this tutorial I used the former but I like to work with both. And finally, to get it looking clear or crisp or whatever you wanna call it, you have to sharpen in stages.
I'll be using this Lorelai cap by _jems_.
So basically we're going from to
1. Resize the original cap to 500x375.
2. Go to Image - Adjustments - Variations. Make sure Midtones are selected, then click More Yellow, More Red.
3. Duplicate layer. Set to Screen, opacity 100%. Filter - Sharpen.
4. Hue/Saturation. Saturation: -15
5. Merge layers.
6. Resize to 400x300. Duplicate layer. Filter - Sharpen. Merge layers.
7. Resize to 300x225. Duplicate layer. Filter - Sharpen. Edit - Fade Sharpen: 50%. Merge layers.
8. Crop 100x100.
9. Paste this texture by loveicon. Set to Screen, opacity 100%.
10. Brightness/Contrast. Brightness: 30, Contrast: 10. Merge layers.
11. Duplicate layer. Filter - Sharpen. Edit - Fade Sharpen: 40%
That's it. :)